March 13, 2013

WIP Wednesday

I have so many works in progress, it's hard to pick just one to feature today. But since most of them are going to be in progress for quite a while, and I don't want to keep adding more projects, I better save the others for another post!

Scrappy Log Cabin
I started this scrappy log cabin quilt back in the spring. I wanted an easy piecing project that I didn't have to spend much to start, and that I could eventually use to practice my free-motion quilting. I figured using all those 1 1/2" strips for a double bed size quilt would make a difference to my scrap pile, but the bin looks just as full as it always did. Don't know how that works!


Now that the piecing is finished, I am having so much fun with the free-motion quilting. I've only recently started FMQ, and I'm fairly good at stippling, but I wanted to play with more fancy designs. I used to practice on pieces of muslin, like this:


One of my very early practice pieces. Those feathers look pretty awful!

or these pieces left over after trimming a finished quilt.
Not perfect, but at least I can see improvement.

But I got tired of fiddling around with practice pieces. I wanted to be working on a real quilt. It had to be big, so I'd have room to practice, and it couldn't be a gift for anyone, because the quilting would be far from perfect. So, this quilt will eventually cover our spare room bed.

The FMQ still isn't perfect, but I am getting lots of practice. There are 7 vertical rows of blocks and 8 of sashing. So far I have finished 2 rows of the blocks and 3 of the sashing.



As they say: Practice makes perfect (or at least somewhat better!)






2 comments:

  1. Nice projects. thank you for sharing. I agree, your FMQ is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernadette Kennedy (Mom)March 17, 2013 3:56 pm

    looks like lots of work there...do remember to take in the scenery while you are travelling as well. Love the flowers, and the quilting is getting better

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.