May 01, 2013

WIP Wednesday - Hexagons and a little treat

I haven't touched the FMQ on my scrappy log cabin quilt in a while, so there's no progress to report on that. Maybe I'll get at it again tonight.

I have been basting more and more hexagons. I have quite a collection now.
There are enough here for 26 more flowers, plus I have 7 fully stitched flowers. I also used a bunch for a project you'll see later in the month, for the Say it With Flowers blog hop. For this quilt I'm thinking of doing either 7 rows of 7 flowers or 8 rows of 7 flowers, so I need either 49 or 56 flowers.  I haven't decided if I will do partial flowers around the edges, or just finish it with the blues I'm going to put between the flowers. I probably won't be able to decide until I have all the full flowers finished and I can lay them all out together.

These treats are a work in progress only because they haven't cooled enough to eat yet!

I love cinnamon rolls, especially these ones. The recipe comes from my aunt Diane, who makes a batch every single week. When I was growing up, she used to sometimes show up at our house with a batch so fresh she hadn't even been able to cover the container before she left the house. Now I live too far away for that, so I have to make my own (though not every week).
Don't you just want to make your own?

Diane's Cinnamon Rolls


3 cups flour
4 tsp sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
margarine or butter

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the size of peas. Add milk, mix to blend. Knead 20 times.

Roll out on lightly floured surface. Spread with margarine or butter (I use Becel).

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon, then spread over dough. Roll, starting from a long side and cut about 1 1/2" thick. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Whether you make another batch next week is entirely up to you!

I'm linking up at Freshly Pieced again today.

3 comments:

  1. I found you from the linky at Freshly Pieced. Your hexies are lovely. The thumbnail photo of the cinnamon rolls made me think "Someone made a quilt that looks just like cinnamon rolls!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I with Maggie. I initially thought that someone made a cinnamon roll quilt. I was thrilled to find a recipe instead. I have been hanging to make home made cinnamon rolls and I now have a recipe to try. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I did that too. I saw the thumbnail and thought - amazing! it looks just like cinnamon rolls. :) I don't cook - so I'll just have to enjoy them in photo. I'll certainly come back and check out where you're going with your hexies. Do feel free to follow me too, never know what I'm going to work on next! www.theboredzombie.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.