October 26, 2016

30 Days of Quilt Design Challenge - Finished

Rachel, at Stitched in Color, and Gotham Quilts have been hosting the 30 Days of Quilt Design Challenge on Instagram, with the idea being participants would spend 30 days working on quilt designs between the beginning of August and the end of October. I finished the challenge a couple of days ago, and my to-make list has grown much, much longer over the past couple of months! In fact, I've started making one design, ordered fabric for another and had a third accepted by a magazine! More on all of those in the days to come :)

I shared my favourites of my first 14 designs here, so now I'll share some of my favourite designs from the second half.

This one came about after Nathan was following video instructions to draw a robot made of squares while I was washing dishes. It sounded fun, so when the dishes were done, I sat at my computer and used basic shapes to create my own robot. I think he'd be a cute first-applique project for a child, or he'd make a cute baby quilt.
Robot Quilt Design | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
I really love this design. I'm not sure what I like best, those tiny little churn dashes or the asymmetrical layout. Regardless, this one is definitely in my plans for someday.
Little Churn Quilt Design | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
I'm calling this one Refract. I had fun creating this unusual layout with just two blocks.
Refract Quilt Design | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
This design was inspired by a QDAD prompt. I'm not quite sure it would be possible to assemble it exactly as I've drawn it, but I might just have to figure it out one of these days.
Window Tiles Quilt Design | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
And just look at all the negative space in this one! I could have a lot of fun with flow quilting all over a quilt like this :)
Sink or Float Quilt Design | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
The challenge was a lot of fun, and designing so often really helped the get the ideas flowing. It was also great to see the incredible designs others were sharing at #30DaysofQuiltDesignChallenge.

Now to get some of these designs made into quilts!

5 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed watching you participate in the challenge, Leanne. I love that the designs you have shared with us here and on Instagram have been a mixture of so many things; modern, traditional, applique and even paper pieced. It's a nice reminder when we are creating and designing, it's good to mix things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The challenge has been fun to watch, and I'm so excited it has opened up more opportunities for you as a result. I really love the last one you shared and would love to see your #FlowQuilting make it sing in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun designs. It sounds like it was a successful challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's important to find time to doodle and play, and it sounds like this challenge was a success. It's been fun to follow along and see what you've come up with. I know I've seen several I would like to add to MY to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that robot design so much. And since it's such a simple promt, one could fill a whole quilt top with rectangle robots!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.